- This class has passed.
Oncology Soft Tissue Manipulation – Level 2
|Wed – Fri||Mar 4–6, 2020||8:30am – 5:30pm|
Safely manipulate soft tissue of people diagnosed with cancer!
Become proficient with the manipulation of soft tissues with patients affected by cancer. Oncology Soft Tissue Manipulation course is a 3-day long course predominately hands-on. Based on Canadian Cancer Society standards, this highly anticipated course is designed to provide all Health Care providers with the knowledge and skills needed to safely and effectively provide soft tissue manipulation. Addressing the fear and misunderstanding of providing soft tissue manipulation to individuals who have had a cancer diagnosis, participants will gain insight into the mechanism behind cancer spread and how, with proper assessment and adaptations, muscle and joint manipulations can be very beneficial to this population.
What to expect from this course?
- An overview of various types of treatments and medication protocols and their side effects
- An understanding of modifications for ‘pump and filter’ organ compromise
- Techniques and rationale for site and position adjustments and bolstering
- Protocols and modifications for clients with bone metastases
- An introduction to gentle scare tissue mobilization techniques
- The opportunity to develop and practice using an Oncology specific intake form and questionnaire
- Recommendations for communicating with physicians and other health care professionals
- Ideas to empower and support both practitioner and client
- Hands-on practice with clients
Who should take this course?
All health care providers who work directly with oncology patients are welcome to take this course. Chiropractors, Physiotherapists, Nursing staff, Massage Therapists, Acupuncturists, Athletic therapists and Manual Osteopaths and Osteopaths.
2nd Year Massage Therapy students who have completed Pathology are welcome.
**PRE-READING: Chapters 5, 6, and 7 of Medicine Hands – Massage Therapy for People with Cancer, Gayle MacDonald (3rd Edition)**
Thank you Linda and Seminars for Health, for bringing workshops to Grande Prairie. Just completed a weekend of OM courses and have to say it was one of the best courses I have taken to date. The instruction was clear and Linda made sure we were comfortable and confident in the new skills we learn. I can’t wait to start using these new techniques in my treatments.