Fundamentals of Oncology Massage – Level 1
|Wed||Mar 13, 2024||9am – 5pm|
Cancer Rates and Survivorship are Rising!
There is an urgent need for knowledgeable and skilled healthcare practitioners capable of safely working with those affected.
This is essential training that all clinics should have.
- This course provides an in-depth understanding of biomedical cancer treatments and teaches the safe adaptation of massage techniques based on factors like pressure, site, duration, and position.
- You will develop the critical thinking skills required to work effectively with clients diagnosed with cancer.
- The course includes a checklist to identify lymphedema and determine when to refer clients to other healthcare professionals.
- It serves as an introduction to integrative cancer care and provides fundamental knowledge applicable to your practice immediately.
- You will gain confidence in carrying out safe treatments and know when to refer cancer patients.
- You’ll learn common oncology terminology, treatment protocols, and side effects to facilitate effective communication with clients and healthcare professionals.
- Lastly, you will receive a list of educational and service-based resources for you and your cancer-diagnosed patients.
This course is a prerequisite to the 3-day Oncology of Soft Tissue Manipulation Level 2 course. Once both levels and the exam have been completed, you will be an SFH Oncology Certified therapist.
Upon Level 1 Course Completion:
You can request proof of attendance to submit to your association for credits. Upon registration, make sure you enter your information correctly to ensure this happens. We collect your email address, first name, and last name (please give us the name you wish to have on your proof of attendance ).
Who is the Instructor?
Janet Penny, RMT and co-author of Oncology Massage: An Integrative Approach to Cancer Care (Handspring 2021, use discount code to get 20% off: PENNY23) is instructing the SFH Oncology Massage Program for Seminars for Health. Janet has been practicing as a massage therapist in Ottawa, Ontario, since 2007. She is fascinated by the resiliency of the human body and all it goes through.
Janet’s massage practice focuses on working with people with cancer. Her treatment approach addresses the multi-faceted needs of oncology massage clients, including pre-and post-surgical treatments, scar tissue, radiation fibrosis, neuropathy, and pain within the complex context of the client’s emotions that pervade and influence the body.
Janet is the SFH instructor for:
Safe Practices in Oncology Massage – two-hour webinar
Fundamentals of Oncology Massage Level 1 – 7 hrs in-person class
Oncology Soft Tissue Manipulation Level 2 – 24 hrs in-person class
Who should take this course?
All healthcare providers who work directly with oncology patients are welcome to take this course. Chiropractors, Physiotherapists, Nursing staff, Massage Therapists, Acupuncturists, Athletic therapists, kinesiologists, Manual Osteopaths, and Osteopaths.
2nd Year Massage Therapy students who have completed Pathology are welcome.
This course contains proprietary information. None of the material in this course may be used without the explicit consent of Seminars for Health, including paraphrasing or altered versions. Canadian copyright laws protect all Seminars for Health content. In addition, seminars for Health reserves the right to pursue legal action against any illegal distributions or presentations of any items listed above.
© 2022 Seminars for Health Inc., All rights reserved
Thank you Linda and Seminars for Health, for bringing workshops to Grande Prairie. Just completed a weekend of OM courses and have to say it was one of the best courses I have taken to date. The instruction was clear and Linda made sure we were comfortable and confident in the new skills we learn. I can’t wait to start using these new techniques in my treatments.